Tuesday 3 January 2012

Cleaning the Refrigerator

Okay, this is about all I'm prepared to share of my fridge. It's not pretty. Actually, it's not too horrible, but after the busyness of the holiday season it's a mess. So I thought making my fridge the task for today would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. 
Firstly, it just needs a good clean out. I'm sure some things in there are out of date and there are the final bits of leftover Christmas food and baking that no one is going to eat which means I'm having trouble finding the things we do want to eat. Too much clutter and just too much 'stuff'. So a big clean out is definitely required. 
I also want to do my fridge today because it's nearly pay day, which means it's nearly time to go grocery shopping again...and I'm not too sure where I'd put it all at the moment. Plus, I can't possibly meal plan effectively if I have trouble figuring out what's good in the fridge! 
And lastly, my hubby is still home on holidays so getting things done that are usually cumbersome with small children underfoot is just a good idea in general.

So, how I clean the fridge.
  1. Take everything out of the fridge and put it on the benches in the kitchen.
  2. Clean out the door of the fridge first so the more perishable things like milk can go straight back in. If you live in cooler climates you can probably do the whole fridge without having to worry about this, but here in the tropics it needs to go back in! I use a bucket with warm soapy water (dishwashing liquid is perfect) and a cloth to wash  the shelves in the door.
  3. Take out all the shelving and vegetable crispers and give them a good wash in warm soapy water.
  4. Take a bucket of more warm soapy water to the fridge and give it (and the seals) a good clean.
  5. Wipe out the fridge with some vanilla to both kill any odours and make it smell nice.
  6. Replace shelving and crispers.
  7. Check over all the food you took out and throw away anything that is out of date or is going off.
  8. Wipe over any messy bottles or jars and replace food items back in fridge.
  9. DONE!
Have a great day and I'll see you all later!


Nadia
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment